Although the modular construction has become more widely adopted by large and small architectural and construction firms, for some, modular still remains a mystery. Here are five benefits of modular that may have yet to show up on your radar.
1. Customization is Easy and ‘Almost’ Unlimited
Modular builders, and buildings, are still bound by the rules of physics. With that in mind, modular structures can take almost any shape or size to suit almost any aesthetic or functional requirement. Complexity or building materials are no problem either. Modular buildings can even be made LEED Platinum standards.
2. Greater Cost Predictability
In general, construction projects have a reputation for running long and over budget. Not only is modular faster due to simultaneous site work and in-factory prefabrication, it also offers better price assurance. When it’s raining outside, the team at the factory is still hard at work finishing your building. Cutting weather delays alone significantly reduces price overruns and late delivery.
3. Gaining in Popularity Even before Construction Digital Magazine named modular as one of its 12 trends to watch in 2012, modular has been merging into the mainstream as a preferred building technique by architects, engineers and contractors.
4. Globally Adopted If anything, the U.S. is behind in adopting modular as a preferred method for building quality structures. Countless large-scale modular construction projects have already been completed throughout the Far East and Europe.
5. Remote Areas Are Now Accessible
For buildings in extreme environments, the in-factory prefabrication inherent in modular construction allows builders to limited exposure to harsh elements. The same applies when structures are needed in hard-to-reach locations. Offsite fabrication of modules reduces the need for cutting new roads or shipping unneeded materials — both of which are expensive and time consuming.
Though it will likely be a few years before modular is truly mainstream, these benefits and others are compelling reasons to consider modular for your building project today.