As the last quarter of 2018 draws near, the construction industry is already looking to the future hoping to determine what non-residential construction markets have the greatest growth potential in 2019. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) weighed in last month suggesting that the U.S. economy will see a modest 4 percent jump in construction spending, a slight decline versus the expected 4.5 percent this year.
Some segments are poised to grow faster than others. The top three construction sectors for growth in 2019 are:
3. Industrial – 4.9% (up from -0.1%)
2. Education – 5.2% (up from 4.0%)
1. Public Safety – 5.9% (down from 10.9%)
These segments at the bottom of the list stand to show little or no growth:
3. Amusement/Recreation – 2.8% (down from 4.0%)
2. Retail – 2.7% (down from 6.3%)
1. Religious – 0.0% (up from -4.1%)
See the AIA’s forecast here, then get started on your game plan for 2019.