The time has come to celebrate the season with family and friends. To help you keep your seasonal celebration from turning into a holiday trip to the ER, we’d like to remind you to remain as vigilant about safety at home as we all are at work.
Here are a few friendly reminders for staying safe at home through the holidays.
- Always wear proper protective equipment when working around the house.
- Make sure ladders are planted on firm and level ground. Never use a chair in place of a ladder to hang decorations.
- Always use fall protection when you climb on the roof to string lights or other decorations.
- Follow proper lock-out tag-out procedures when hanging holiday lights.
- When plugging in outdoor lights, make sure that you use an outlet equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter to avoid electrical shock.
- Keep a watchful eye on the oven and stove whenever they’re in use. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S.
- To help someone who is choking, remember “5 and 5 can keep them alive.”
1. Ask the person if they are able to breathe and if you can help.
2. Once you know the person is unable to cough, speak or breathe, have someone call 911.
3. Lean the person forward and give 5 sharp blows with the heel of your hand between their shoulder blades.
4. If the obstruction isn’t dislodged, give the person 5 quick, upward abdominal thrusts to dislodge the obstruction.
From all of us at ModSpace, have a happy and safe holiday season.